Confidentiality & Security of Personal Information
Usernames and Postings
Comments or other information posted by you to our forums, wikis or other areas of the Site designed for public communications or communications among registered class members may be viewed and downloaded by others who visit the Site. For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding whether to post any information that can be used to identify you to those forums (or other public or classwide areas).
What You Consent to by Using Our Site
Information We Collect and How We Use It
We collect information, including Personal Information, when you sign up for a user account, participate in online courses, send us email messages and/or participate in our public forums. We collect information about student performance and patterns of learning. We track information indicating, among other things, which pages of our Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used.
We may log the IP address, operating system and browser software used by each user of the Site, and we may be able to determine from an IP address a user's Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of his or her point of connectivity. Various web analytics tools are used to collect this information. Some of the information is collected through cookies (small text files placed on your computer that store information about you, which can be accessed by the Site). You should be able to control how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the “Help” section of the toolbar. If you reject our cookies, many functions and conveniences of this Site may not work properly.
Among other things, we may use the information about you collected through the Site (including your Personal Information) in connection with the following:
- To enable us to provide, administer and improve the courses.
- To help us improve Ninebricks Education Publishing offerings, both individually (e.g., by course staff when working with a student) and in aggregate, and to individualize the experience and to evaluate the access and use of the Site and the impact of Ninebricks Education Publishing on the worldwide educational community.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education.
- For the purpose for which you specifically provided the information, for example, to respond to a specific inquiry or provide you with access to the specific course content and/or services you select.
- To track both individual and aggregate attendance, progress and completion of an online course, and to analyze statistics on student performance and how students learn.
- To monitor and detect violations of the Honor Code, the Terms of Service, as well as other misuses and potential misuses of the Site.
- To publish information, but not Personal Information, gathered about Ninebricks Education Publishing access, use, impact and student performance.
- To send you updates about online courses offered by Ninebricks Education Publishing or other events, to send you communications about products or services of Ninebricks Education Publishing, Ninebricks Education Publishing affiliates, or selected business partners that may be of interest to you, or to send you email messages about Site maintenance or updates.
- To archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- To maintain and improve the functioning and security of the Site and our software, systems and network.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection, pursuant to your consent, or as otherwise permitted by law.
Sharing with Third Parties
We may share information we collect (including Personal Information) with third parties as follows:
- With service providers or contractors that perform certain functions on our behalf, including processing information that you provide to us on the Site, processing purchases and other transactions through the Site, operating the Site or portions of it, providing or administering courses, or in connection with other aspects of Ninebricks Education Publishing services.
- With other visitors to the Site, to the extent that you submit comments, course work or other information or content (collectively, “Postings”) to a portion of the Site designed for public communications; and with other members of a Ninebricks Education Publishing class of which you are a member, to the extent you submit Postings to a portion of the Site designed for viewing by those class members. We may provide your Postings to students who later enroll in the same classes as you, within the context of the forums, the courseware or otherwise. If we do re-post your Postings originally made to non-public portions of the Site, we will post them without your real name and e-mail (except with explicit permission), but we may use your username.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education. However, we will only share Personal Information about you for this purpose to the extent doing so complies with applicable law.
- To provide opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals. For instance, we may recommend specific study partners or connect potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, we may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but we will only provide other users your username, and not disclose your real name or e-mail address to your contact.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection, pursuant to your consent, or otherwise as permitted by law.
- For integration with third party services. For example, videos and other content may be hosted on YouTube and other websites not controlled by Ninebricks Education Publishing.
In addition, we may share aggregated information that does not personally identify you with the public and with third parties, including, e.g., researchers and business partners.
Links to Other Websites
The Sites may contain links to websites published by other content providers. These other websites are not under our control, and you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such websites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of each website you visit and use.
Personalization and Pedagogical Improvements
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the information we maintain about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective Date: July 18, 2013